Sunday 7 September 2014

Grayling on the dry fly

After the last update, where I was taught a lesson in lure fishing by an 8 year old, I thought some R&R alone was in order, so I took myself off to try a little more fly fishing on a small stream about a mile away from where we were staying.



It really is a lovely spot and I very rarely see anyone else there, up to now I have only caught very small fish in here, but it is a nice spot to spend a couple of hours and gives me chance to practice (much needed) a bit more with the fly rod.
I was using my 3wt 10 ft rod, I find this more difficult to cast with than my other rods but really enjoy playing these smaller fish on this light rod, as even the smallest fish put a bit of a bend in it.

In the first pool I managed a couple of small Grayling.



Even though they were on the small side, in the fast water, on the light outfit they still managed to put up a spirited if short display. The second fish soon followed, so with the blog in mind I decided to get a picture or two whilst the going was good.


Having no one to show me what Im doing with the fly fishing, every trip is pretty much a learning experience at the minute. I just try different things until I start catching. The method I was using here, was just sort of letting the fly hold station in the fast water and then inch it back up the pool before letting it swing around in the flow. After a few seconds another short pull upstream and let the fly settle in the current again. Eventually I would feel a sharp pluck and pulled into the fish, I probably missed as many as I caught but at least I was getting some action. It's maybe not the text book way to do it but I was catching.

Even these little Grayling are very strong and wiry when you hold them to unhook. They seem to writhe and wriggle at the worst possible moment which makes getting a snap for the blog hard work whilst on your own.


 Anyway the pool continued to produce lots of Grayling around the same sort of size. Most of them probably somewhere between 4 to 8 oz to the same method. Little gold bead nymphs were working quite well in the turbulent water.




After maybe a dozen or so similar sized fish the action slowed a little, so I decided to head off downstream. I found some calmer water and switched over to the dry fly managing a few more similar sized Grayling. The trout were conspicuous by there absence!

Even though I had the blog at the back of my mind I didnt see the point in getting the camera out for every little Grayling  that came to hand, if I was to catch something bigger or a trout I would get a snap......but I didnt so I didnt.

The only thing that I was keen to try was an underwater shot as my wife had bought me a new camera with waterproof housing for my birthday. Not quite Jacques Cousteau, but at least the camera survived its dunking...






No comments:

Post a Comment