Tuesday 18 November 2014

Reel Fishing

Well the fishing has sadly started to slow down for me with a return to work, after a great summer of fishing ( great as in enjoyable, not meaning massive amounts of monster fish ) and getting out very regularly my time is now somewhat limited.

I have still managed to get out a couple of times with the warm end to summer and start of autumn.
First up was a trip to a still water trout fishery with a friend of mine called Bob. We fished at Pennine fisheries and both managed to catch a few fish on dry flies. My best was a rainbow of exactly 6lb which gave a real good scrap.




The most pleasing fish however was a nice brown trout that I stalked out of the margins. Watching the trout take the fly in the shallow clear water after, what for me, was an accurate cast was great fun.
it wasnt the biggest fish of the day but the way I caught it felt good.





Other than this stillwater fishing I found myself spending more and more time on the river chasing trout and grayling with the fly rod, I have to admit being from a Coarse fishing back ground I thought that game fishing was a bit snooty and not for me. Well if you know me you will know that snooty wouldnt be a word to describe me. However, I have really enjoyed the fly fishing this summer it has been a revelation and has given me a new branch of the sport to explore. Its great because after fishing since being a little chap things can become a bit samey but with the fly fishing everything is new and I have loads to learn, it has to be said that it has totally rejuvenated my fishing.

I have even managed to catch a few in my first full season on the fly, my casting still leaves a lot to be desired but despite this a few nice fish have been taken.

The trout have been a little disappointing and I have not managed anything sizeable from the river, just a few small browns.


Even though they have only been small they are stunning little creatures and its nice catching them in some beautiful locations.

I have fared rather better with the grayling and caught these quite regularly, with some decent ones thrown in.



I even manged to give my underwater camera a go, I wont post too many pics as I did catch quite a few decent grayling, but here are a few underwater pics.



and away she goes:-


One from a very clear river, no wonder I spook them.


That pretty much sums up the summer, a few more trips are planned with the fly rod and then I think I will try for some Pike and Perch. I am even getting the feeling that I may even break out the barbel gear.

bye for now
Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment